Wednesday, August 29, 2018

TADIT’s Attack on My Anti-Prejudice Post

     On August 15, 2018, I posted “Hsinchu Titans Cricket Wins in Taiwan”.  It is an article about how minorities such as Indians, make happiness within their minority group in Taiwan and it calls for the majority Taiwanese, and other minorities, to support each other’s efforts. I thanked the five netizens who ‘liked’ my post on “Teachers against Discrimination in Taiwan” Facebook page; still other readers not in the habit of licking ‘like’ enjoyed my diligent article.
          Ten days after being posted, I was notified of a public comment attached to that post from Don Johnson who “manages the members and posts” for TADIT. She wrote, “Please read the purpose of this group and its Manifesto and then voluntarily remove your post which is irrelevant to the goals and purposes of this group. If you have any questions, PM me.
          I went back to review the group guidelines: “TADIT was created for the purpose of promoting equality in the hiring practices of English teachers in Taiwan.”
Publically, I responded, “Many posts here have no relevancy to the promotion of expat teachers' rights in Taiwan.” Privately, I wrote, “This article, which I graciously posted to TADIT relates to a minority that is discriminated against and thus does warrant exposure here.”
Annie Chen, the administrator of the group wrote in October 2014, wrote: “We encourage all RELEVANT discussion, commentary, and critical analysis on our wall and in our group, but we are also proactive in maintaining the group's integrity. TADIT will not tolerate any comments which are seen as derogatory, racist, sexist, homophobic, misogynistic and/or insulting. Also, as we are a family friendly forum, we ask that you make your best judgment when posting topics and comments and refrain from using profanity.”
I looked again at a vicious profane posted since July 31st by David Black which began, “Racist assholes keep pouring kitchen shit on my property…” and noticed, finally, Don Johnson had gotten around to seeing the derogatory and warned Mr. Black as she had warned me.
                I have had no problem posting appropriate articles I wrote to this site before; indeed, on July 15 I posted “Rainbow Gathering Paints Taiwan Black In Bloom” about a self-described ‘family’ of privileged drifters that call themselves “Rainbow Gathering” that descended onto Taiwan in the spring and chose to share a prejudicial article on their Facebook. Without adhering closely to the groups stated mission, it remained up.
                Scrolling down I noticed that half of the posts didn’t adhere to the mission statement including a number of posts by another administrator, Andrew Bunting who although a written about prejudices, were not specific to Teachers in Taiwan. “TADIT,” he admonished readers, “the world needs you now as it always has, but the stakes are at an all-time high. What are you doing to confront racism? In February Mr. Bunting threw his lot in with the ANTIFA movement receiving twelve ‘likes’ (including mine) and forty-two comments, mostly positive. Naturally I was to think that this wonderful site would champion all who experienced prejudices, teachers in Taiwan or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment